Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bratwurst


I begin my bratwurst by cooking them in beer. Much like cooking with wine, use a beer that you would drink. Simmer the brats slowly- boiling will dry them out. Skim the foam off of the top as they cook.








When the brats are cooked, I like to cook some sliced onions in the beer to serve on top of the brats. My hubby doesn't like his onions cooked in beer, so I place some slices in foil with butter, salt and pepper. I put this on the grill when I light it and they are ready when the brats are done.





When your grill is heated, cook the brats over a medium flame. They won't take long (1-2 minutes per side at the most) since they are already cooked through. The grilling is just for additional flavor and color.

Serve topped with onions, mustard or creamy horseradish.

No comments: