Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Weekly Tip: No Boil-Over Potatoes


When boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes, adding a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil will keep them from boiling over and making a mess!
I also season my potatoes with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder when I boil them. When I drain them, I leave a bit of that water in the potatoes for when I mash them. Add butter, milk and, if you're feeling adventurous, a little cream cheese for flavor and to make them creamy.
Have you entered my Perfect Recipe Basket Giveaway yet? You have until December 2nd! Three lucky commenters will win!!!
Get more tips at Rocks In My Dryer!

7 comments:

~gail~mooselovingmamabear said...

Thank you for sharing this; I'm going to try it out tomorrow....

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving...

Jerralea said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

TuTu's Bliss said...

I'm almost inspired to cook!! Thank you

Anonymous said...

I remember my grandmother saying all you have to do is put a wooden spoon across the pot and they won't boil over. I think she was having me on! It never worked. I'll try the oil thing. If you can reply, what's the best oil? And when you drain them, does the oil all pour off? My kids don't as a rule like anything oily, rarely even buttery.
Thanks for the tip!

Heather said...

Thanks for all the great comments!

Jacquelyn- I use vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil. Both work equally well.The oil all pours off with the water and you won't even know there was oil in them after that.

I've tried the spoon thing and it works on some foods, but for potatoes you have to lay the spoon on the water as opposed to the top of the pot and it is still no guarantee. The oil works much better for potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this! I used it on Thanksgiving...no mess, even though I was doing 6 things at once.

Melissa said...

I was visting your blog, this sounds so good!!