Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

Due to rising gas/fuel prices, lack of decent raises (remember in the 50's when the annual average income was commensurate with the cost of living?) automation, outsourcing and company cut-backs, Americans are having to tighten their belts. Just about the only bill you have any control over is your grocery bill.



Some of the most common ways to save money on your grocery bill are growing your own food to preserve, using coupons or rebates and eating out less. Sometimes, however, those are not enough to loosen the squeeze. Below are some sites that, even if you aren't feeling the pinch, you might want to check out for some new ideas. If your budget doesn't fall into the tight category, take the money you'll save and apply it towards a savings account, Christmas shopping, a trip or special treat for someone you love or for yourself.



Budget101.com is a great site that includes many recipes, back to school ideas, printable coupons and articles. It's a great resource you'll want to bookmark!

Hillbilly Housewife has a ton of recipes for convenience foods such as biscuit mix and granola bars.

Better Budgeting has a frugal recipe list you won't want to miss!

One of my very favorites is The Aldi Queen, Amy. She has a wide variety of recipes for tight budgets and lots of advice to help you along the way.

Do you have a favorite budgeting tip or website?

4 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I actually study the grocery store flyers and plan my shopping around whats on sale. Then I plan my menu. I try and buy in bulk as much as I can.

Oh - and I NEVER send Mark to the grocery store. :)

Julie said...

Hi,
I found your blog through my SIL's blog, Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe. I love to read about being more frugal. I am a couponaholic. lol I am part of an online coupon trading group at www.couponchix.com I have a stockpile in my basement of all types of household items and pantry staples that I got for really cheap or free. I keep a 3 ring binder with clear plastic baseball card holders in it with dividers for all my coupons. This is what I carry to the store and it helps TREMENDOUSLY! I usually save a minimum of $20 per trip.

Here are a few other sites that are really helpful:

www.couponforum.com
www.mycoupons.com

:) Julie

Anonymous said...

Here are my 50 tips posted at Thrifty Mommy.

http://www.thriftymommy.com/50-ways-save-money-on-your-grocery-bill/

I was talking to my husband tonight about starting to do our checking acct statement and budgets on a program such as Quicken. We should have more money left over every month.
We need to find out where the money is being spent.

I do miss having a garden. When I was growing up, I would go out to the yard and cut okra, pick tomatoes, squash, watermelons, etc. One day I'm going to have a garden again.

Amy said...

Thank you so much for including me in your list. I love sharing my recipes and am hoping to have more to offer in the future! Thanks a bunch!