Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Weekly Tip: Make a Roasting Rack


If you've ever made a roast or a chicken in the oven, you know that if you let it sit in the juices, the bottom will turn out mushy. To get your meats really nice and get that great crispy outside, you need to place your meat on a rack.
Don't have a rack? Never fear, The Fat Bottomed Girl is here! That's right, you can make your very own roasting rack with plain old aluminum foil! Best part is that its disposable! If you use an aluminum pan, the entire thing can be pitched after the meal, too!
Here's how to make a roasting rack:
~Pull out about 12 inches of foil and tear it off. No need to measure, just eyeball it.
~Crumble the foil piece up into a ball- just tight enough to hold it's shape.
~Repeat until the bottom of your roasting pan is covered with a little bit of space between the foil balls (see photo).
Ta da! You now have your own disposable roasting rack! This is also great for draining fried foods, although I'd recommend making smaller balls of foil for draining.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Wow! Thank you so much! I couldn't find a rack that would fit in my tiny roasting pan so this is very helpful. Didn't think I would get anything on google. Great tip, I will be back to your site again.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! We're cooking two smaller turkeys this year and only own one rack! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Was in a panic & you came to the rescue!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this idea! I am trying my first prime rib and don't have a rack. I can't believe this is on the net.

Thanks~

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much! You saved Christmas dinner. (Roast leg of lamb) Fantastic tip that expanded on an idea that I was twirling around in my head but that hadn't quite formed yet. I will check this site again for entertaining tips. Cheers!