Thursday, July 19, 2007

Chicken Wraps

I used to watch cooking shows all the time. Rarely would I actually copy the recipes I saw. I would, however, use them as inspiration for new dishes. It's been a long time, but I turned on the Food Network a few days ago and went right to the kitchen to prepare a new-to-us dish.

Chicken Wraps
2-3 Lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken
Salt
Pepper
1 Small Onion, sliced
1 Pint Salsa
1 8oz. pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 C. Milk
Flour Tortilla Shells


Season Chicken with Salt and Pepper. Cook chicken in a lightly oiled skillet until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan to cool. Cook onions in skillet over medium to low heat until the onions are transparent and soft. While onions cook, pull the chicken into shreds with fingers or with two forks. When onions are cooked through, add the chicken and salsa. Warm cream cheese in microwave for a few seconds until it is melted; add milk and whisk lightly with a fork; add to the chicken mixture and heat through. Warm tortillas in microwave. Fill tortillas with chicken mixture and serve.


Tips

~ I didn't have any salsa, so I used canned diced tomatoes, threw in some chili powder and cooked a sliced medium-hot Hungarian pepper with the onions.

~Use your favorite type of tortillas if you don't like flour.

~You can also add shredded lettuce or shredded cheese if you like.

~You can use whatever type of chicken you have on hand and prepare it any way you prefer. I think these would be fabulous with grilled chicken!

My husband is not a big chicken eater (he doesn't even like to eat it more than once a week) and he rarely eats leftovers, but he asked me to put these in his lunch each day until they were gone! I can't believe that! I will surely be making chicken wraps again! I want to make them again and freeze them. We'll have a snack that can be warmed up in a jiffy!

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

Those look yummy. I fix a lot of chicken so I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. I will have to try this one

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

These do look very yum-a-licious.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Requests.... If you have anything.

I am always looking for an easy beef stew recipe.

I also love trying different pot roast recipes.

I am a very simple eater - so I don't make a lot of fancy stuff. More "home cookin". Have any good chicken recipes? Or healthier beef recipes?

Anonymous said...

yum!! I'm going to be trying these very soon. Thanks, great step by step photos!

Stephanie Appleton said...

Don't you feel like making those again say maybe this weekend. ;)
They look great!

My Trendy Tykes said...

Yummy!

Linda